How to Unblock your Gutters
While it’s very important to keep your gutters clear and clean during the winter time, that’s no reason to neglect them during summer when it’s a bit warmer and drier. Even during these dry months, your gutters can get blocked up by debris and other materials that get caught up there. Things such as tree leaves, dirt, silt, etc. can build up and caused blockages in your gutters. This causes excess water to fall off your roof rather than filtering through the gutter pipes.
Keep reading to learn how to properly clean and unblock your gutters:
- Make sure you have a sturdy ladder
- Clear out excess leaves or tree debris using a gutter scoop
- Use a garden hose to quickly blast and clear out debris and dirt and to release any blockages in your downpipe
- Make sure you have the following tools handy: cylindrical brushes, pair of pliers, and other gutter cleaners, brushes or scrapers
- Another way to clean your downpipe is to dismantle it and clean it by hand
After you’ve cleaned your gutters, be sure to inspect them for anything such as leaks, cracks, broken fascia bracket, or faulty connection joints. If you see any of these, you’ll want to make sure to get them repaired ASAP.
To prevent butter blockages, you can get things like gutter guards or mesh guards to stop debris from entering and building up.