Guide To Repairing A Clogged Kitchen Sink Without A Plumber
If you’ve ever experienced the nuisance that is a clogged kitchen sink then you know first-hand just how annoying it is.
So what should you do when the water is backed up and the kitchen bench is piled high with dirty dishes?
While it may be tempting to reach for harsh ‘drain clearing’ chemicals that eventually end up corroding your pipes, here are some alternative solutions that will save you money and keep your pipes in good condition.
Try some boiling water
The easiest and least expensive thing to do when you notice that your kitchen sink is clogged is to get the kettle boiling.
Here’s what to do:
- Try to remove as much water as possible from the sink (use a pot or plastic container)
- Pour the boiling water down the sink and leave it for a few minutes
- If the water doesn’t drain then try the process again
Vinegar and baking soda
Use these staple pantry items to try and remove the clog. Again, start by removing as much water from the sink as possible.
- Pour about a cup of baking soda into the drain, followed by a cup of white or apple cider vinegar.
- The solution will start to bubble, once that subsides, put the stopper in and wait for 15 minutes.
- Remove the stopper and run the hot water, if the drain is still slow then the clog is still present.
Tried both of the above and still no joy? – Then it’s time to try out the plunger.
- If you have a double sink, first seal off the drain on the other sink with a wet cloth or a stopper.
- Create a tight seal around the plunger.
- Place the plunger firmly over the drain and plunge vigorously several times.
- When you hear the suction clear the clog, remove the plunger and flush the drain well with warm water for a couple of minutes.
If you’ve tried all of the above DIY solutions and are still having no luck, then it’s always best to call a professional to help solve the problem.
That’s where we come in! We’re Perth’s drain clearing specialists, with over 20,000 drains cleared in Perth’s metro area, we guarantee to clear your drain or it’s FREE!
So if you’re dealing with a blocked drain Perth – Call 1800 420 000 for all your drain clearing needs.