A key part of keeping your bathroom looking clean and beautiful is the tiles. More specifically, the grout which holds them together. Due to its porous nature, grout attracts and absorbs any dirt and spills, causing it to stain easily. Grout can even become cracked without proper maintenance, which can cause major damage behind the scenes. We’ll give you some tips on how to maintain your grout and keep it clean.
#1: Daily Cleaning
To make your job easier in the long run, maintain your tiles and grout daily. This will help make weekly cleaning and deep cleaning sessions easier and will help make your grout last longer.
- Remove any dirt and residue on your tiles and wipe down the entire area with a damp cloth
- Lightly spray tiles and grout with mild daily shower cleaner or make a DIY shower cleaner with a 4:1 mix of water and vinegar solution
- Remove excess water in your shower using a squeegee
#2 Weekly Cleaning
A deep clean once a week or once every two weeks is important to get rid of any dirt, soap scum or oil that clings to the tiles and grout despite daily cleaning.
- Spray grout cleaner onto grout and leave on for a few minutes
- If you don’t have grout cleaner, DIY your own paste with a mix of water and baking soda
- Use a toothbrush or a grout brush to scrub the grout after the grout cleaner has had time to sit and rinse off with water
- For heavier stains, use hydrogen peroxide to rinse the grout
- Do not mix hydrogen peroxide with vinegar